This study was conducted to evaluate the network scale-up method for estimating the sizes of groups most at-risk for HIV/AIDS. Using 4 different data sources, 2 of which were from other researchers, the authors produced 5 estimates of the number of heavy drug users in Curitiba, Brazil.
This data release includes:
- 1 pdf file which contains documentation for the csv files and the R code
- 3 data files in comma-separated values (csv) format
- 3 R programs
- 2 pdf files of the questionnaire (in Portuguese)
By running the R programs, one can reproduce all the results as reported in Salganik et. al. (2011). Please direct any questions to Prof. Matthew Salganik.
- Salganik, M.J., Fazito, D., Bertoni, N., Abdo, A.H., Mello, M.B., and Bastos, F.I. (2011) "Assessing Network Scale-up Estimates for Groups Most at Risk of HIV/AIDS: Evidence From a Multiple-Method Study of Heavy Drug Users in Curitiba, Brazil." American Journal of Epidemiology, Vol. 174 No. 10, pp.1190-1196. Available for open access at http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwr246.
- Salganik, M.J., Mello, M.B., Abdo, A.H., Bertoni, N., Fazito, D., and Bastos, F.I. (2011) "The Game of Contacts: Estimating the Social Visibility of Groups." Social Networks, Vol.33 No.1, pp.70-78. Available for access with subscription at http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.socnet.2010.10.006.
- Bastos, F.I. on behalf of Brazilian Multicity Study Group on Drug Misuse (2009) Taxas de infecção de HIV e sífilis e inventário de conhecimento, atitudes e práticas de risco relacionadas às infecções sexualmente transmissíveis entre usuários de drogas em 10 municípios brasileiros. Tech. Rep., Fundação Oswaldo Cruz.
This research was supported by the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS, the Brazilian Ministry of Health, a CAPES/Fulbright fellowship, the US National Science Foundation (grant CNS-0905086), and the US Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (grant R01HD062366). Any errors are the responsibility of the authors not the funding agencies.
To access these datasets, please login or register as a user of the data archive.