The Office of Population Research at Princeton University invites applications for its African Visiting Fellow Program. The fellowship is for applicants based in African universities and research institutions with a track record of excellent research or policy work in African demography and population studies. The fellowship is intended to provide outstanding African scholars time and support to focus on their research, as well as foster collaboration and strong networks between OPR and scholars and institutions based in Africa.
The fellowship provides support for a one month visit to OPR, and will include office space, computing support, access to Princeton’s library resources, and a research account ($2000) to cover expenses such as conference travel, hiring research assistants, purchasing data etc. Access to Princeton’s library resources as well as use of the research account will be valid for one year beyond the fellowship. A living stipend ($4500), free furnished accommodation, along with assistance for visa applications will also be provided. Fellows will be expected to give a research talk while they are at OPR.
We envisage providing support for at least one junior scholar (no more than 10 years post-Ph.D, and/or a scholar at the lecturer or postdoc level) and at least one senior scholar each year. All applicants must have a Ph.D or equivalent qualification.
The deadline for applying for a Spring 2024 visit (February – April 2024) will be Thursday November 30th.
The application should include:
- A Cover Letter (no more than two pages). The letter should describe:
- a) the scholar’s background and research interests
- b) their preferred month to be at OPR (we suggest a visit sometime between September – November, or February – April)
- c) how the month at OPR will benefit their scholarship
- d) mention any scholars at OPR or Princeton with whom they have pre-existing collaborative relationships or with whom they might want to collaborate in the current or future projects.
- A Curriculum Vitae which includes a full list of publications
- A Research Plan describing how the scholar intends to spend their time at OPR (no more than one page)
- A letter of support from their institution (department chair, or other university or research institution administrator).
- 2 letters of reference
Please send all inquiries and applications to [email protected]